Thursday, May 21, 2009

Stress

As a single mom of three kids and a full time college student I am prone to stress. 

What I have learned in the past three years from mentors, a life coach, counselor and the pastor of my church is that I have to take care of myself first and foremost. Otherwise I will not be able to take care of anyone especially my kids.

December 2006 taught me a lesson I won't soon forget. I had been feeling ill off and on for a few weeks including my Asthma bothering me. I started to feel like I had the flu so I was taking an over the counter Flu medication. For a short time it would relieve my aching. A friend of mine had a spare inhaler she gave me which also helped. I kept pushing along for a couple of days until my oldest daughter started complaining of a bad sore throat and then my middle child complaining of his ear hurting. Since it was a Saturday I decided to take us all straight to the Emergency Room.

For hours we sat in the waiting room. Actually, I started laying down with my kids and by myself. There were so many people in the waiting area. Finally we get called and sent to a triage room. Eight hours after we arrived my daughter was diagnosed with Strep Throat and my son had a bad ear infection. As for me, I had double pneumonia. 

My mom and step dad were too involved with taking care of my sisters kids to come up and get my oldest two. Luckily the youngest was still at his dads for a visit. The doctor and nurse were pleading with me not to leave the hospital. In fact, they had an EMT come in offering to take my kids to a neighbors who was willing to take care of them for a few days. 

I finally convinced them I was willing to sign the AMA papers, get their meds, clothes, email my professors (last week of semester and finals) and take them to a neighbors and I would come right back within an hour. They were not completely happy but they understood I had to do what I had to do.

Within an hour I was back at the hospital and for four days I laid up in the hospital with countless other people who had pneumonia. Breathing treatments, IV, shots to keep me from getting blood clots were routine. The worst part about the entire stay was that there was No shower or bath! The first thing I did when I got home was take a shower.

Stress can kill. More than anything though it affects everyone around you. They can easily pick up your vibes. Allow others to help you when they offer. Ask for help because many people won't offer and want you to ask.

No comments: